A dent does not look good on your garage door. It can be distracting from the rest of your home’s appearance. The good news is that you have options for dented garage door repair. If the dent is too big to repair, then you should be ready for a door replacement. Conversely, you can fix small dents to help your door look new again.
Dented Garage Door Repair
This post will help you decide on what to do with your dented garage door. We will cover methods you can use to deal with all sizes of garage door dents. We’ll also discuss when you should seek professional help for the repairs.
DIY Garage Door Repair
When the dents are rather small, you can straighten the door to look like it never picked a dent. Here are some methods you can use to deal with garage door dents at home.
Start by gathering the materials you need. Paint and primer should be top in your list. Other resources you will require are rubber mallet, a patching material, putty knife, wooden block, and sandpaper with fine grit.
- Begin by cleaning the dent. Use warm water and the ordinary household detergent. Let it dry completely.
- Put the wooden block directly on the dent. Hit the block with the mallet to streamline the dent.
- Using sandpaper, even the surface of the garage door.
- Put the patching material over the dent. Use a putty knife to spread the patching material and cover the entire dent. Leave it to dry.
- Once it is dry, apply the primer and follow with painting the garage door.
For this method, you will need fewer materials. Arm yourself with an aluminum foil, a source of heat, and compressed air. Once you have all these, it is time to begin working on the dent.
- Just like in method one, you should begin by washing the dent. Use warm water and household detergent.
- Lay the aluminum strip over the dent. Make sure it covers the entire dented area.
- Heat the foil evenly.
- After heating the foiled portion for a minute, take off the foil. Get your compressed air and spray it on the area that was covered by the foil for 30 seconds. Spray it in an upside-down tilt.
Call a Professional
Some dents will need more than your DIY skills to be removed. This is when you should call local garage door repair professionals. They will be able to use the proper methods that are more efficient than a DIY.
There are plenty of options when it comes to dented garage door repair. Whatever method you use depends on the intensity of the dent. If you are unsure of what to do, it’s best to let the professionals remove the dent. Whether you need a new garage door or yours needs some repairs, our team here at On Track Garage Door Service is here to take call of all your garage door needs.